Work Package 1
Increased reliability of tidal rotors
The deliverables associated with this work package seek to identify and characterize potential reliability issues for tidal turbines. Analysis will particularly focus on fatigue assessment and testing for composite tidal blades. Recommended mitigation measures for identified failure modes will be incorporated into other elements of the RealTide project.
- Failure Modes Effects Analysis report
- Reliability and Availability Model assessment report
- Test report: Fatigue of composites for tidal turbine blades
- Methodology for the fatigue assessment of composite material blades
- Guidelines for the development of tidal turbines reliability databases
- Reduction of environmental impacts due to increased reliability
Work Package 2
Realistic Tidal Environment
Complex velocity fields drive tidal energy converter loadings. These affect fundamental device design, reliability and ultimately energy conversion rate and yield. This complex flow exhibits spatial and temporal variation at scales significant to tidal energy: meters (blades) to kilometers (machine arrays) and seconds (turbulence) to months (energy yield and extreme loads). This work package seeks to develop measurement technology for marine renewable energy applications and enhance data management and analysis to facilitate industry’s exploitation of the data
- Deployment & Instrument Specification for Advanced Flow Characterisation
- Next Generation Flow Measurements and Flow Classification
- Environmental Conditions Database: Collation, Demonstration and Dissemination
Work Package 3
Realistic Simulation of Tidal Turbines
Accurately modelling the hydro- and electro-dynamic loads on the rotor and the response of a single tidal energy converter requires a fully bi-directional model of the tidal current conversion system from the hydrodynamic forces on the rotor to the network. Such a model can easily be extended to a tidal farm by including the collector cables and any substations as well as the export cable and grid connection. This work package will implement such a generalised model which is able to operate either as a free standing design tool or embedded in a computational fluid dynamics solver. This model will be used to examine design cases and to predict loads acting on the blades, generator, seals, bearings and shaft of the Sabella turbine, generating information which will be incorporated into other elements of the RealTide project.
- Generalised tide-to- wire model
- Report on blade resolved CFD modelling of the Sabella turbine
- Report on BEMT- CFD modelling of the Sabella turbine
- Paper describing the inter-comparison of BEMT, Blade resolved CFD and BEMT-CFD models of the Sabella turbine
- Dataset of synthetic load data available for WP4 and WP5
- Experimental model test report and Dataset
Work Package 4
Advanced monitoring strategies
This work package seeks to define and implement advanced monitoring techniques to provide highly reliable subsystems for the key elements of tidal turbines including the prime mover, blades and the key power train components. This will result in an integrated Condition Monitoring System (hardware and software together with a Monitoring Protocol) to acquire data from the critical subcomponents of a Tidal Energy Converter.
- Report on Condition- based maintenance strategies, the impact of monitoring strategies and comparison to other maintenance strategies
- Publishable summary on the impact of monitoring on cost reduction of Tidal Devices and proposed Monitoring protocol draft
Work Package 5
Novel and advanced components
The large uncertainties which exist in our understanding of the environmental conditions to which tidal turbines will be exposed, has resulted in the application of extreme load conditions assumptions and high safety factors to the design of the first tidal energy converter demonstrators. This work package seeks to optimize the design and improve the reliability of the main components of the next generation turbine’s rotor, using more detailed and realistic environmental input data.
- Novel materials for blade design
- Business case study
Work Package 6
Project management and dissemination
A workshop was held as part of the project's dissemination and exploitation strategy. The workshop is written up in the following report.
- Workshop report